Friday, July 16, 2010

Why you should buy coffee beans when it's 96 degrees


When it gets hot like it was yesterday, I often like to do my errands by bike. It may seem counterintuitive, but the faster you go, the more breeze you get, the cooler you feel. Until you stop of course and the sweat builds. Fortunately, one of my stops was at New Seasons. As I walked by the customer service counter where they put out samples of weekly specials, I came across exactly what I needed - The Cachoeira Iced Coffee- pronounced kuh-SHWAY-duh in Portuguese. Then I saw that it was a recipe from Nossa Familia, the folks that serve you delicious coffee (and whole coffee beans) every Sunday at the market and I knew I should post this recipe on our market blog. I love my coffee and this is just the answer I was looking for when wondering how I would satisfy the need when it's hotter than I would care for outside.

The Cachoeira
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 3/4 c ground coffee beans (Nossa's Camila's recommended)
8-10 c water
1/3 - 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (oh, no wonder it's so tasty!!)
sugar to taste (optional)
ice
Mix cardamom with coffee before brewing. Brew coffee in automatic coffee maker. Once coffee is brewed, add sweetened condensed milk. Stir mix well and taste. Chill until cold in the refrigerator. Serve on ice.
recipe courtesy of Nossa Familia www.familyroast.com

Buy your whole beans today from the market. Brew one of these up this week when it's just a little too warm for hot coffee or it's after dinner and you need a liquid dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment