Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower with Currants and Parsley

I had all the best intentions in the world while making tonight's dinner. I realized I hadn't posted a recipe in a week and a half. I had some cauliflower in the refrigerator. Some fresh parsley still thriving in the garden with the bursts of moist warm air we've had in the past few weeks. I was going to get out the camera and take some pictures of artfully piled stacks of florets speckled with bright flecks of green and a few wise little currants peeking out from beneath. It was going to be a wonderful photograph.

I roasted the cauliflower in olive oil at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, added some salt and pepper and a splash of a vinaigrette of equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stuck it back in the oven for another 15 minutes, then pulled it out of the oven. Threw in a handful of currants and another handful of parsley. Mixed it up. Tasted a floret to make sure it was seasoned well. And then just keep eating. There was something oddly wonderful about the warm oil mixed with the tangy vinegar that was ridiculous. And then it was gone, without evidence to show you how good it looked.

So take my word for it and try it yourself. If you don't care for cauliflower, I can see this method being equally good on slices of delicata squash or beets or other root vegetables that roast well.

No comments:

Post a Comment